Sunday, October 24, 2010

Party of the Year

My daughter's birthday is coming up soon and I am feeling totally overwhelmed.
Birthdays are a much bigger deal here then they are in Israel (at least for us). In Israel we barely had any family to celebrate with, so we ended up having a small get together with a few friends and their kids. Here it's very different. With just the close family we're already an intimidating number. But that's not it. This year, we're going to have to invite all the kids from my daughter's ganon. She really wants to invite everyone, and that's simply how it's done here. I still think a party of 15 kids for a 4 year old is a bit much, but I'm not going to deprive my daughter from what all her friends get. So that's party number 2. Then there's number 3 in ganon. They have a little party, sing, some cake, a present, family members get to come and the birthday kid gives out a small bag of goodies to take home. For me this would be enough, but in stead, I have to make 2 different types of goody bags that will be going to the same kids.

But if I'm honest, this isn't all that bad. Actually, if I'm really honest, I'm the one who's making it stressful. I'm not the most creative person who wows everyone with her newest conception, but I don't like doing the same as everyone else either. So I put in lots of time and effort in order to put something together that's just a bit different then the standard. Like last year, in stead of just giving out some candy and juice in a little plastic see through bag like all the other kids', I mad these "hot air balloons":

So now I have to (again, it's just me pushing myself) come up with something similar for this year and I'm totally stuck. Not to mention trying to think of some fun activity (which of course has to be entertaining as well as educational) and treat for the party.

I know I have to learn to do things the easy way when I just don't have time and it's putting to much pressure on me (and my family), but some how I just can't.

Oh, did I mention I'm having the very same problem with one of my best friend's wedding and sheva brachot?

No comments:

Post a Comment