Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Shabbes Experiences part 1

I recently started a new job and now work 2 full days at the end of the week. Which means I've had to say bye bye to the weekly Friday cook-out. Luckily, I have a big freezer and have started to cook a lot in advance. There's really a lot you can make in advance and freeze, like challes, soup, kugels, cakes etc, which I did. This Friday was to be the first time no one would be home during the day. My freezer was fully stocked though, and I felt fairly confident that it would all go fine. Yet somehow there was that knowing, nagging feeling that I was forgetting something. And Thursday night it hit me, the cold cuts. We usually order these from our local kosher butcher on Friday morning, so it's nice and fresh and they deliver it somewhere during the morning or early afternoon. We figured it wouldn't be so bad to do the same this week, even though neither of us would be home till after 4. The weather has been quite cool and the delivery has been coming later and later (ah, the perks of having a kosher monopoly), so it should be fine.
Well, luck would have it that it was an unusually hot day. I have no idea when they delivered the meat, but when I took it out of my mailbox it still seemed cool. I only threw out the liver pate, since that would have been risky. Now, you should know that I have a very sensitive stomach and generally try to avoid the situations where others would say that it's probably ok. However, in this case I couldn't avoid it and took the risk.  Of course, it ended up poorly, and I am writing this from my bed feeling sick. And of course, as always I am the only one to be affected.
So, I guess we learnt our first lesson when it comes to preparing shabbes in advance. I've titles this to be part one since I'm sure this isn't going to be the last time something like this happens, let's just hope that next time it won't cause physical pain.

4 comments:

  1. That was pretty risky. You'll just have to compromise, order earlier in the week and freeze them. I presume that you don't have a neighbor who can take the delivery.
    feel better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.
    I know, really not thought out. I have to see if everything can be frozen, or else order for Thursday afternoon.
    And yeah, another one of the perks of living in chul (as apposed to the yeshuv we used to live in) is that we're on very proper greeting terms with our neighbors and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy. And I thought once you get out of the heat, you avoid these storage problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth is, I did get a lot more sick when I lived in Israel. But yeah, I've still got to be much more strict about what I eat.

    ReplyDelete